About SSA: Ambassadors' Impact
Every day, all across America, thousands of Safe School Ambassadors are taking courageous action, giving voice to their values, and making their schools safer places to be.
"Before, my friends, they just want to fight. Now, there's not so many fights."
Interviews with Program Advisors and school administrators, and data from Ambassador Action Logs and Surveys, confirm that Ambassadors have:
- Reached out to isolated students so they don't feel so alone
- Offered support to peers who have been hurt, ridiculed or embarrassed in front of others
- talked hot-headed friends out of fighting or retaliating
- reported drug dealings, knives and guns on their campuses
- prevented rapes, suicides, and gang fights
"The Ambassadors have already stopped or prevented many acts of violence on our campuses - from teasing and bullying to fights and drug deals. Site Administrators have told me many stories about incidents they didn't have to deal with because Ambassadors intervened early on."
Every day, all across America, thousands of Safe School Ambassadors are breaking the cycle of Pain - Rage - Revenge. This example was recounted by the SSA Program Advisor at a school in Riverside County, California:
And these individual actions have a measurable effect on school discipline data.
"Our Safe School Ambassadors were able to prevent many fights. Usually the number of suspensions goes up in the spring, but this spring suspensions were down 20%. That was mostly due to the Ambassador training in January."